The Texas Historical Commission (THC) Internship Program is designed to provide undergraduate and graduate level students unpaid internships within a selected agency division or program; thereby exposing them to the benefits of choosing historic preservation as a career. This is in compliance with the mission of the THC to protect and preserve the state’s historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, enjoyment and economic benefit of present and future generations.
Internships can include, but are not limited to, practical experience in archeology, architecture, community development, historic preservation, history, economic development and planning, marketing communications, and administration. By working closely with THC staff, students should gain hands-on knowledge relating to their coursework in a specific field.
The THC also supports a Diversity Internship Program, created to build interest in and awareness of historic preservation, specifically among students from underrepresented cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups. To view more about this program, click here.
Internships are available in the following THC Division programs:
• Administration and Staff Services Divisions - Information resources, accounting, purchasing, human resources, and executive management
• Archeology Division - 106 Review, state archeology programs, curatorial certification, state marine archeology
• Architecture Division - Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program
• Community Heritage Division - Texas Main Street, Certified Local Government, and Texas Heritage Trails programs
• Historic Sites Division - Curatorial services
• History Programs Division - Historical Markers, Historic Cemetery Designation, Museum Services, and Military Sites programs
• Public Information & Education Department — The Medallion publication, website, social media, and public relations
Application Deadlines for 2014:
• December 1 for the spring Semester
• June 1 for the summer Semester
• August 1 for the fall Semester
Applications now being accepted for the following position:
Details of the Internship Program:
To apply, send the required internship application, resume and official transcript to:
P.O. BOX 12276 Austin, TX 78711
THC Internship Program Application